The ability to express yourself in an easy to understand manner. Clarity. For some, the coffee bean creates crystal clear mental clarity. Beware, it may not create clarity in speech.
Do we learn it? Where do we learn it? Having held a long standing fascination and admiration of people, I have seen what a lack of clarity has prevented and what clarity has offered. The better we can express ourselves, the more we are at peace with belonging, and experiencing contentment and happiness.
There are different places in our lives which require and benefit from clarity:
- Ordering your coffee/meal: simple process this, if you order in an unclear manner the waitperson will double check your order before submitting it.
- Explaining your point: in any situation where you are explaining or defending your view/outlook, clarity changes your message from being missed and ignored to being listened to and considered for implementing.
- Expressing yourself: in relationships with colleagues, family, others the ability to express yourself makes a difference, from not being taken seriously to being included in decisions and experiences.
- Passions: our innermost desires fuel and drive what we focus on, whether a dream, a cause, an interest, or our job, business, family, community. Be clear about your focus, instead of diluting efforts rather enhance progress.
Learn to be more clear in 5 steps:
- Who are you speaking to: is it a work meeting, or your neighbours, or your friends, or your kids, or twitter audience.
- What do you want to say: what is the core meaning of your expression/message/explanation.
- Are you confident: do you believe what you are saying, or do you need more information, do you need to qualify your opinion/information.
- Where are you engaging: will the situation be formal, or informal, will it be a walking meeting, will it be in the foyer of a meeting venue, will it be on facebook in a post.
- What will the pace be: will you have time to speak, will you be limited to 2 minutes, are you tweeting something for immediate response.
Covering these 5 areas will allow you to create a clear script / paragraph / speech / argument easily. Test it by speaking out loud to get an impression of it or borrow a friend to help you out.
If these tips are useful for you, in addition to how you express yourself already, please leave a comment below. I would like to hear how you are benefiting.
Subscribe here to receive mini-challenges every week to creating a Life you Love.